Morgan Sindall Construction’s North West team is celebrating becoming one of the first three construction companies to be named Members of the Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter.
The Charter is a voluntary membership and assessment scheme that aims to raise employment standards across Greater Manchester for all organisations of any size, sector or geography.
It recognises organisations that are committed to the wellbeing of their colleagues, by pledging to pay the real living wage, engaging staff in key decisions and endorsing fair and flexible working conditions.
The Charter defines good employment as being built around seven characteristics: secure work, flexible work, pay, engagement & voice, recruitment, people management and health & wellbeing.
Membership of the Charter means that Morgan Sindall has demonstrated it is an excellent employer that uses its resources to support its staff and its local community, evidenced in ways including:
- Being a Real Living Wage Employer.
- Being one of the few construction companies to hold the Investors in People Platinum accreditation.
- The provision of adult mental health first aid training to both employees and supply chain via an inhouse mental health first aid instructor, and creating a network of mental health first aiders.
- A supportive sickness absence policy, employee assistance programme and enhanced maternity and paternity package and flexible working guidance.
- Advice, support and webinars on topics such as sleep and menopause, as well as being committed to being a Menopause Friendly Employer.
- In the past three years, it has helped 318 unemployed people into work and 101 people from disadvantaged groups into employment.
- During the same period, 6,011 local people found work through Morgan Sindall and its supply chain.
Julie Simpkin, HR Business Partner, Morgan Sindall Construction, said: “I’m extremely proud that we’ve achieved the status of Members of the Good Employment Charter. At Morgan Sindall, we have a truly great team in the business, and that’s been made possible by treating all our employees with the respect, care and support that is required for individuals to develop a rewarding career. Our operations are run with a commitment to fairness and inclusivity, and this honour will further spur us on to continue to improve our employment offer to all our current and future staff.”
Sharon McDonnell, Membership Manager, Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter said: We’re delighted to recognise Morgan Sindall as a Member of the Greater Manchester Good Employment Charter. They have clearly demonstrated their commitment to good employment through their actions and created an environment where people want to come to work and engage their workforce to be their best. They have done some excellent work around equality, diversity, and inclusion, and also in in promoting the charter through their supply chain. There’s around 85,000 people employed in the construction sector in Greater Manchester, so it’s really important that main contractors like Morgan Sindall join the movement and become involved.”